This program’s design is based on the very successful Armed Pilot Program. It has been in existence for over 10 years now and has trained thousands and thousands of pilots.
Proposed Program: (subject to change – in planning stage)
- Volunteers Only(Teachers, Administrators, Staff, Counselors, Nurses, Custodians, Bus Drivers)
- Interview *
- Background Check **
- Must Possess KY CCDW Permit ***
- Attend a 1/2 day Pre-Course (designed to prepare participant for training course)
- Complete Program Training Course (5-10 days in length, TBD)
- Follow-up interview of participant with Sheriff & Superintendent
- Semi-Annual Firearms Qualification
- Annual 1-day Refresher Course prior to school year (includes firearms qualification)
* To include: 1) Superintendent or School Board Member (or designated representative); 2) Sheriff (or designated representative); 3) SRO (if applicant being interviewed is working at a school with an SRO – start of the team concept).
** To be completed by the Boone County Sheriff’s Office
*** All CCDW Permit holders receive a federal NICS background check every 28 days
Firearms would be carried concealed on the person and students would NOT know who is armed.
The program would be public knowledge to establish a deterrent, however, the individual’s involvement would be “Sensitive Security Information” (SSI). The only people who would know who is participating in the POST Program would be the school’s staff, administration, SRO, and other armed participants. Dispatch would know how many participants are in each school so responding officers would be notified.
Ideally, the priority would be for front office administrators, staff, school nurses, and guidance counselors to participate since they will likely be the first to encounter the “active murderer.”
Participants in the “Troops to Teachers” Program would be ideal candidates.
Want to know more about POST – watch a video presentation.