We received the following from a supporter of POST in Ohio. This letter was sent to Ms. Krista Ramsey in response to her article yesterday on Cincinnati.com / in the Enquirer, which I responded to yesterday. Reprinted here with permission from Mr. Kunz.
Hello Ms. Ramsey,
My name is Mr. Linden Kunz. Thank you for sharing your opinion in your article “The very poor case for arming teachers” in the February 23, 2014 Cincinnati Enquire newspaper. Your opinion carries a lot of weight since it is printed in a newspaper that is read by so many.
I have 5 grandchildren and 3 additional family members who are students, teachers or administrators in nearby schools. I am very concerned for their safety and the safety of all students, teachers and school staff.
There are a few questions I would like to ask you.
- What has been your personal experience(s) with Evil? What is the worst thing that has ever happened to you? I hope you take time to tell me about your experience(s) with Evil.
- When Evil shows up and starts harming/killing people, why do the Good people call the police?
- What is the average response time of police to a school shooting?
- Based on history, when Evil enters a school and starts shooting children and adults, on average how many die per minute?
- What is the number of injured and/or dead children and adults per school shooting that is acceptable to you? Is 5 injured and/or dead okay, or is it 10 or is it 0?
- How much time and effort did you invest to learn about school shootings and the positive uses of guns?
The previous questions are very important because most of us humans base our opinion on the information we have or things we have heard and our own life experiences. Yet, a person can have an opinion on any subject without knowing anything about it.
I am encouraging you to invest a few minutes of your time to further educate yourself and base future opinions, decisions and newspaper articles on FACTS and not on FEELINGS or Political Correctness. Following are several facts you should consider.
1. Evil is in this world and has been since the beginning of time.
2. America has approximately 312,000,000 people in it and there will always be some who are Evil and some who are mentally unstable.
3. Laws (which are nothing more than words on a piece of paper), have never stopped and never will stop Evil. The Columbine shooting happened while the Assault Weapons ban was in effect. The shooter at Sandy Hook School in Newtown, CT broke existing laws – (1) it was illegal for him to have a gun at that school, (2) murder is illegal.
4. Gun laws will not cure mental illness.
5. The only thing that immediately stops an Evil person with a gun, is a good person with a gun.
6. Mr. John Benner a 37-year veteran police Lieutenant and Vietnam Veteran is president and chief instructor with TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) was a guest on 55AM radio show “Trigger Time” on 12-16-12. Mr. Benner said the following statements; he works with National Association of School Resources. Mr. Benner also said Ron Borsch in Ohio has done research and a report on Active Shooters. It shows 70% of the time the shooter is stopped by a civilian and 30% of the time by law enforcement. John has many years of law enforcement experience, he suggests a multi layer solution to stop school shootings; train volunteer teachers, school staff and janitors who are competent and willing. Also we can have parents with CCW permits volunteer at schools. At school shootings teachers sacrifice themselves to protect their students, but the teachers have no fire-arms to fight back. Time is the enemy. More colleges allow CCW. Texas has armed teachers. Israel has many armed teachers therefore the cowards do not attack the schools in Israel. Lock Down did not work. 90% of shooters when encountered, fold and many commit suicide. How many of our children are you going to sacrifice for Political Correctness? Law enforcement cannot stop the shootings. Many school administrators think they will look bad if they cannot solve a problem. Soon as the shooting starts the shooter will kill 8-12 people per minute. Can you assure us the cops will be here in 1-minute after calling 911? Every minute that passes 8-12 more people die. A gun free zone such as schools and malls and business with sings “no guns allowed” is the most dangerous place in the world. Chicago has had tough gun laws since 1920’s yet 10 people got shot just the other night. Must have a plan that stops shooter within 1-minute, must have people inside the school. Mr. Benner said on the 12-30-12 radio broadcast that there is already one Ohio school district that has an armed teacher/staff member and many more Ohio school districts are seriously considering arming their teachers and staff members that volunteer to do so and complete the additional training and screening.
7. History tells us there will be another school or mass shooting by March 2014. – in just the last 17 years there has been 77 school or mass shootings (= one every 2.6 months). Click these links for details:
8. The shooting at Virginia Tech lasted 9-minutes. The shooting at Sandy hook School lasted only 4 minutes. A good response time for Police is 3 – 5 minutes + time to assess the situation when they get there + time to find the shooter = 10 -15 minutes.
9. After a shooting starts people call 911. Why? Because they want help from trained, competent and armed people. It makes sense we should have trained, competent and armed people there BEFORE the shooting starts.
10. Shooters most often attack “soft” targets where they will not meet resistance.
11. There has been extensive research done from 1977 – 2005 on gun violence and gun laws by John R. Lott, Jr. It is published in his book, MORE GUNS LESS CRIME. Mass public shootings are also discussed and analyzed. The book is now in its third addition. On page 334, “It is easy to see why some people think that banning guns will make others safer, but gun-free zones, whether college campuses or at the city or country level, have not disarmed criminals. Everyone wants to disarm criminals, but the problem we face is one faced by all types of gun-control laws: who is most likely to obey the law? Time after time, it is the most law-abiding citizens, the people who we don’t have anything to worry about, who are disarmed and made vulnerable, not the criminals. However well meaning, banning guns only makes the lives of criminals easier.” On page 335 it reads, “…. it is the problem of relying on uniformed police or security guards for safety: the killer instantly knows whom to shoot first.” On page 336, “……gun bans involving malls or schools, bans increase violence and murder.” I encourage you to buy a copy of this book and read it.
12. The media’s use of the shooters name in the news coverage increases the chances that more “copy-cat” shootings will occur. Some mentally unstable people want to become famous in Evil ways. In their twisted sick mind they decide that shooting children at a “gun-free” school is the place to do it.
13. The media has taught many Americans to be afraid of guns. The vast majority of news stories about guns being used are negative. When a person is killed by a drunk driver, we as a society don’t blame the car. When they are killed with a knife, we don’t blame the knife. Yet when a person is killed with a gun, often the gun is blamed and everything else is overlooked. The Department of Justice’s own National Institute of Justice study titled “Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms,” estimated that 1.5 million Americans use guns for defensive purposes every year.
You can read more at http://www.wnd.com/2005/09/
32103/#zg9UJfhPTdXPwJXT.99 Wouldn’t it be nice if the media told the whole story and said, “10,000 people are killed by guns each year in America, however 1.5 million use a gun to stop crime and an estimated 250,000 lives are saved every year by the defensive use of a gun.” (1 out of 6 defensive users of a gun said the gun saved a life – most guns are never fired, just showing the gun makes most Evil behave positively). Also see http://www.wnd.com/2005/09/ 32103/ where it is stated “Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that 2.5 million Americans use guns for defensive purposes each year. He further found that of those who had used guns defensively, one in six believed someone would have been dead if they had not resorted to their defensive use of firearms.
14. Ignorance causes irrational fear.
15. There are armed guards at Banks because we value our money, there are armed guards at many sports games because we value the safety of the spectators, there are armed guards at hospitals because we value the safety of the patients, there are armed guards on airplanes because we value the safety of the air travelers. Shouldn’t we value our children’s safety just as much?
16. Very unfortunately for us and our children, some people in an influencing, leadership and/or decision making role have no common sense. Many seem to refuse the facts of what has been successful in stopping school shootings. As the very wise Benjamin Franklin’s said, “Common sense is not so common.”
17. The current Ohio School Safety program of “Lock Down” has been proven by the 26 dead at Sandy Hook School in Newtown, Connecticut, that “Lock Down” doesn’t work. “Lock Down”= hide and wait to be killed. A safety program that allows 26 to die before the mass murderer is stopped is UNACCEPTABLE!! Sandy Hook School followed the “Lock Down” procedure.
18. All schools have fire extinguishers so school staff can fight a fire until the fire department arrives, even though in the last 30+ years there has not been one single student or school staff killed by fire. A fire extinguisher is a wonderful tool. There has been dozens of students murdered in schools by a mass murderer in just the last 10 years, yet the school staff has not been given a tool to fight back. A gun in the hands of a competent, trained and willing staff member is a wonderful tool.
19. Many colleges now allow students and staff to carry their concealed weapon provided they have their Conceal Carry License. There has been zero problems.
20. There are guns available with a micro-chip, “Smart gun” that allows only the owner to shoot it. Smart gun with micro chip –
- Smart gun uses ring on your finger http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-
Superintendent David Thweatt in Texas has successfully implemented the one and only 100% sure way to immediately stop a crazy person with a gun. Please take a few minutes to watch his interview at the following link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=9Y4Pz64PCNE In his interview Mr. Thweatt explains several things. He also outlines the common sense security in his schools, which is; 1) he asks for teachers to volunteer to be a Conceal Carry gun teacher, 2) teachers who do volunteer must go through the state’s required training and obtain their Conceal Carry License, 3) teachers with Conceal Carry License are then interviewed individually by the school board for evaluation of their competency (the names of the teachers with Conceal Carry License are kept secret), 4) teachers approved by the school board are then required to take two additional gun training classes – accuracy and tactics, 5) teachers who complete the above are required to keep their concealed gun on their person at all times and to use Frangible ammunition. Frangible ammunition is the same ammunition used by the Federal Air Marshalls. Frangible bullets will disintegrate upon contact with a surface harder than the bullet itself. Frangible bullets are often used by shooters engaging in close quarter combat training to avoid ricochets
Superintendent David Thweatt interviewed on Fox news (there is also a video link at this web address)- http://foxnewsinsider.com/
2012/12/20/texas-town-allows- teachers-to-carry-concealed- guns-superintendent-defends- policy-in-wake-of-sandy-hook- shooting/
Lt. Col. David Grossman has studied terror attacks world wide for many years. His book is required reading of the U.S. Marines. In his seminar “The Bullet Proof Mind” that he conducts for Educators, Police and the Military, Grossman explains that schools are the #1 target for terrorist. I encourage you to go to YouTube.com and search for “Lt. Col. David Grossman” you will find several short videos to watch and learn from. Following is a link to his web site where he has several good suggestions for schools
- Lt Col David Grossman was interviewed about why kids are killing kids in modern society, 11:31 minutes long on The Blaze, http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Lt. Col. David Grossman is a man who you should pay special attention to because no other person has invested so many years into investigating terror attacks and school shootings. Lt. Col. David Grossman is America’s “go to guy” on this topic.
A recent article you may find interesting and informative about guns and school safety is http://larrycorreia.wordpress.
Ms. Ramsey in closing, I believe if I had your previous experiences with Evil and I only had the information that you had at the time you wrote your article, “The very poor case for arming teachers” there is a high possibility that I would have had the same opinions as you. However, I suspect that you are one of the many victims of the Media’s overwhelming reporting of negative gun stories, and almost zero reporting of positive gun stories. Just as if the media had 99% of their stories on dogs were about how evil dogs are and constantly featuring stories of people being injured and killed by dogs, and you had no personal experiences with a dog or heard of any good dogs, your view of dogs would most likely be negative.
Since you were very bold in your article with your opinions, such as; ”..most unwise solution.” “…beyond common sense or even professional respect.” “It’s unrealistic and, in fact, insulting to think people who entered the profession of education should be turned into teacher-law enforcement hybrids.” “…this misguided plan…”, will you now have the decency and fortitude to write an article with a summary of the above mentioned facts to help educate the population, or will you continue to be the part of the media which constantly ignores the over whelming facts and continue to write negative stories about guns?
My final two questions are, how many more children, teachers and school faculty must be sacrificed at the alter of ignorance (ignorance supported and perpetuated by the vast majority of the media) before the media will print the facts? What is the number of injured and/or dead children and adults per school shooting that is acceptable to you? Is 5 injured and/or dead okay, or is it 10 or is it 0?
I hope and I pray that you and your newspaper do not follow the old saying, “Don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up!”
I look forward to your reply.